Are you a woman with a vision? Do you want to develop as a social entrepreneur to lead change? Apply to a leadership programme unlike any other and take your social business initiative to a whole new level.
Info:Young women social entrepreneurs in the MENA region and Sweden
Available for Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen
Photo: Moa Karlberg
She Entrepreneurs is a recognised leadership programme for young emerging women social entrepreneurs in the MENA-region and Sweden. It is leadership training within the context of working for an equal and sustainable society using entrepreneurial principles, and the programme is based on real business experiences and collaborative learning. At the heart of the programme is personal and professional development. The aim of She Entrepreneurs programme is to support young women social entrepreneurs by giving them the tools and methods they need to develop their social enterprise.
Many women entrepreneurs face unnecessary and made-up obstacles because of their gender. She Entrepreneurs wants to capitalise on these women’s capacities of bringing solutions to many of society’s major challenges. She Entrepreneurs is intended for women who have already started to build a social business. It is not enough to dream of social change; one must also find it exciting to take risks to accomplish that change. If you are a social entrepreneur, you know how to turn ideas into action, and you want to understand how to develop your business to make it more effective at creating value for society and generate money.
She Entrepreneurs will give you:
- The opportunity to develop your own social business initiative and acquire personal skills and innovative tools.
- Support to think like an entrepreneur – from generating ideas to executing a strategic and sustainable business model.
- Increased knowledge on topics such as social entrepreneurship, business development, communication, branding, sales, finance and funding.
- Individual feedback on your social business initiative from leading social and business entrepreneurs and group mentors in Sweden and MENA. This feedback will give you the chance to rethink and fine-tune your idea.
- A strong and active network of likeminded women entrepreneurs who inspire and support each other in driving important changes in society.
Photo: Moa Karlberg
Can I apply?
You can apply to She Entrepreneurs if:
- You are a woman between the age of 20 and 36
- You are driven and have an ongoing business initiative aimed at positive social change through entrepreneurial principles
- You are a citizen of Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine*, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia or Yemen
- You have a proficient command of both written and spoken English, as well as basic knowledge of the internet and new technologies
- The work on your social business must already be started and should be based and implemented in your country of citizenship or in one of the countries above.
- You can take part in all parts of the programme
*Palestinian ID holders, including Jerusalem ID.
Please note that we are not able to make any exceptions to the eligibility requirements.
She Entrepreneurs is made up of two and a half weeks divided into two modules at separate times. She Entrepreneurs is an intensive programme with a full-day schedule and many evening activities, and all selected participants will have to commit to participating in all activities of both Module 1 and 2.
Module 1 (9 – 20 June 2019)
The module is set up with a highly practical approach that allows you to apply the lessons directly to your business initiative. Workshops and lectures on topics related to running a business in general and a social enterprise in particular will be intertwined with coaching in smaller groups from experienced mentors. Themes will revolve around budgeting, funding, marketing and communication strategies as well as on how to measure social impact and how to arrive at an appropriate business model. There will be visits and network opportunities with established Swedish entrepreneurs and organisations. At the end of Module 1 you will present your social business initiative to an advisory board consisting of senior entrepreneurs and business advisors.
Module 2 (15 – 21 September 2019)
Before the start of the second module, you will have worked on your own initiative locally, coached by group mentors over digital platforms. The focus during module 2 will be to maintain, build and expand the network, to continue the learning journey and follow up the development of the work so far. You will continue to build on your entrepreneurial skills through workshops, seminars and meetings with mentors.
Taking part in She Entrepreneurs also means becoming a part of an alumni network that offers the opportunity to exchange ideas and multiply your impact. The She Entrepreneurs network is very much alive and active. It consists of alumni who continue to support each other’s personal and professional development.
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Accommodation, food and domestic transport during the programme
- Flight tickets to and from module 1 and 2
- Insurance covering acute illness and accident when in Sweden
- Visa costs
Costs covered and arranged by you
- Domestic travel / airport transfer in your home country
- Insurance when modules are held outside of Sweden
Application - step by step
Only applicants who have submitted a complete application will be considered for the programme. These are the steps in the application process:
- Download and fill out the She Entrepreneurs 2019 application form
- Go to the application portal
- Upload the completed application form in English, including your contact details and the contact details of two reference persons
- Upload an updated CV in English
- Upload a photo (not compulsory).
2. Evaluation of applications
The Swedish Institute appoints a selection committee consisting of field experts, representatives from partner organisations and staff from SI. Each application is evaluated by two different members of the selection committee.
Each application is evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The applicant’s social business initiative that will be the focus of the programme
- The applicant’s drive, motivation and commitment, as well as her answers to the questions of the She Entrepreneurs application form
- Assessment of the applicant’s CV.
Out of all applicants, around 60 shortlisted candidates are called for interviews as a second step in the selection process. The interviews are conducted through Google Hangouts or Skype.
Due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are unfortunately not able to send personal replies to all applicants.
SI contacts 30 selected applicants by email or phone and offers them a place in the programme. SI also composes a list of reserve candidates in case a second selection round is needed. Unfortunately, because of the large number of applicants to a limited number of seats, we have to turn down many highly qualified people.
Please note that the offer to participate in the programme is valid only under the condition that the participant obtains a visa to travel to Sweden. SI will facilitate the visa application process, but we cannot guarantee a visa. In recent years, candidates living in conflict-ridden areas have in a few cases seen their visa applications rejected.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I’m from a country that’s not listed on your website - can I still apply?
- I am 40 years old - can I still apply?
- Where do I send my application?
- I get an error message when entering my birth date.
- I have uploaded my CV and application form but I’m unable to proceed to the next step and submit my application.
- I submitted my application but I didn’t get a confirmation email.
- I can’t login to the portal, it says my username is used.
- Do you give priority to any specific kind of social initiative?
- I only have an idea about a social business initiative, can I still apply?
- Is the programme fully funded?
Toolbox for the social business
SI has produced a handbook on social entrepreneurship specifically for participants of She Entrepreneurs. Toolbox for the social business is available for free online.
Toolbox for the social business is a practical introduction to business modelling with the key building blocks to commercialise a business idea. It presents traditional concepts of entrepreneurship and explains how these can be adapted and exploited by organisations that aim to deliver social or ecological value creation. This book is based on theories and practices that have proven to be effective and impactful. Each chapter contains critical questions to consider individually or in a group. Using the toolbox will help readers create or grow an impactful business.
Please send any questions to
She Entrepreneurs in social media
In partnership with
111 30 Stockholm
838 73 FRÖSÖN
103 91 Stockholm