ISTernship summer program
THE ISTERNSHIP SUMMER PROGRAM
The ISTernship (“IST-” + “(int)ernship“) is a summer internship program for bachelor’s and master’s students who are looking to expand their scientific research experience. Every summer since 2013, roughly 30-40 students join the ISTernship program and work closely with our faculty or a lab member on a short research project.
As part of the application, prospective interns choose a group to work in, and successful applicants agree on a research project with the group leader. The participating faculty will be announced latest when the call opens.
Upon arrival, ISTerns receive an introduction to research at IST Austria as well as an introduction to the IST Austria Graduate School. The program culminates with a research symposium, where ISTerns present their work to peers, faculty and lab mentors.
Internships are full-time and will be conducted exclusively in English.
For more information and frequently asked questions, see the ISTernship FAQ.
Candidates must be enrolled Bachelor- or Master of Science students in good standing at a degree granting institution. They must have completed at least the fourth semester of their bachelor’s studies (before the respective start date).
All students, regardless of nationality or country of residence, are eligible to apply.
8–12 weeks between May 15 and September 15. Exact dates and length are decided together with the supervisor.
The application for the ISTernship 2019 is now open. Start your application here! The application deadline for the 2019 ISTernship is February 15, 2019 23:59 CET. Please note that the letters of recommendation, submitted by your referee(s), are also due by February 15, 2019 23:59 CET.
The list of participating faculty for the ISTernship program 2019 can be found here. In your application, you need to indicate your preferred professor(s) to work with. You do not need to contact the professor(s).
For more detailed information about the application, see the ISTernship FAQ.
We ask you to upload the following documents to the application portal:
- Statement of purpose
- University transcripts and diplomas of all degree programs and all years you have attended and/or are currently enrolled in (we recommend to submit these in the original language as well as in English)
- Contact information of 1 or 2 referees
ISTERNSHIP PROGRAM INFORMATION
Successful applicants receive assistance with travel and visa arrangements.
Each successful candidate receives compensation to assist with the cost of living in Austria and travel to and from Austria.
There are a number of events either specifically organized for ISTerns or open to ISTerns aimed at making their time at IST Austria as valuable as possible.
- Weekly presentations providing short overviews of the research conducted in groups at IST Austria given by the relevant professors or their Postdocs.
- Invitation to the annual IST Austria barbeque (June).
- Annual poster session in which ISTerns prepare a poster detailing their research project at IST Austria (August).
BENEFITS OF THE ISTERNSHIP SUMMER PROGRAM
- Monthly compensation
- Access to affordable health insurance
- Allowance for travel costs
- Subsidized housing
- On campus housing available
- Free access to the IST Austria shuttle bus with hourly service to Vienna